The Quest of the Simple Life, a Book Review

The English Moors, Photo Credit: Daniel Rao

One of the areas I'm trying to cultivate this year (ha, get it?) is the study of homesteading, both modern and historical. Of course, there are multitudes of websites and blogs and social media you can follow (maybe more on that in another post) but part of what I wanted to do was build a small home library of books, both inspirational and practical, that would not only teach me skills for modern homesteading, but also help me understand the history and importance of homesteading and to help me find my own emotional foundation to the practice.

The first book I finished in 2021 is The Quest of the Simple Life by William James Dawson, published in 1907. For a book published at the turn of the last century, there is admittedly not a lot of really practical advice, or DIY projects for homesteading. Instead, the book takes us back to a different time, where the hum of London in the industrial age is contrasted with the life of the country family. Dawson not only addresses the economics of the different lifestyles (of course, it would be vastly inflated today) but also deals with the morals and ethics of choosing one type of life over the other. The prose, though its syntax can be slightly archaic, is wonderfully lyrical and expounds upon the health and beauty of country life and the joy of making your own work. 

Though vastly less popular than Thoreau's Walden, Dawson's Quest feels so much more familiar - perhaps because it details a seemingly more practical experience - though at their heart the message remains the same: the simple life is the best life. 
 
The biggest takeaway for me from Dawson's experience is there is satisfaction in hard work, done for the right reasons, and in the appreciation for the small beauties of nature. Many years ago, I used to live in a very old farmhouse with windows in every room. Though the the house had long since gone on to become a rental property not inhabited by the actual farmers, the fields were still active. My very favorite day of the year was the day the corn sprouted. I would wake up in the morning and notice a subtle change to the morning sunlight pouring in the windows and look out over a sea of fuzzy green. I don't know how else to describe it, but reading Quest of the Simple Life felt like that morning. It makes me long for an end to winter and to get on my knees in the soil, the sun on my back, and the smell of fresh grass.

Favorite Quotes

"That principle was that my first business as a rational creature was not to get a living but to live; and that I was a fool to sacrifice the power of living in securing the means of life"

“To the man who detests the nature of his employment as I detested mine, I would say at once, either conquer your detestation or change your work. Work that is not genuinely loved cannot possibly be done well.”

"...it was rather through what I may call a kind of earth-hungerI had an obstinate craving for fresh air, unimpeded movement, outdoor life. I wanted the earth, and I wanted to live in the close embrace of the earth."

“I stood upon my own feet, self-possessed, self-respecting, efficient for my own needs, and conscious of a definite part in the great rhythm of infinite toil which makes the universe. It is only when a man works for himself that this kind of joy is felt.”

Related Reading
  • William Wordsworth, writings from his period at Dove Cottage. Dawson makes several references to Wordsworth and his time at Dove Cottage with his sister, Dorothy. Also quasi-related (and a great feminist/food crossover) is What She Ate: Six Remarkable Women and the Food that Tells Their Stories by Laura Shapiro. Her chapter on Dorothy illuminates the simple life she and her brother and his wife shared at the cottage.
  • Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Life in the Woods. Long a staple of classic literature, Thoreau's Walden is perhaps the most well-known book on self-sufficiency and simple living.
  • Rhonda Hetzel, Down to Earth: A Guide to Simple Living - a much more modern take (with interspersed actual practical advice and projects) on simplifying your life and becoming more self-sufficient.


* DISCLAIMER: I am NOT compensated for any links in this post, nor affiliated with any retailers, publishers, or products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning

The Magic of Leftovers